Thursday, July 16, 2009

KNITTING AT THE DOCTOR

I had a doctors appointment this morning. As is my wont, I sat in the waiting room knitting my sock.
The last time I did this, a small group of more mature people, women mainly, started to talk with me about what I was doing. They were uniformly impressed.

This morning two young women sat opposite me and they started to talk about what I was doing. They could be clearly heard but obviously thought I was of an age that I would surely be deaf so they didn't moderate either their volume or their words. They discussed what I could possibly be knitting. Giggly. Neither guessed it was a sock. They decided in the end that I was knitting a Willy Warmer.

I said nothing until I was called for my appointment. At that time, I looked at the two young women and said;

'If you think that is a Willy Warmer, you are going to be very disappointed in life, but I do thank you for the compliment.'

I then hobbled off to see the Doc.

11 comments:

Iris said...

You have made my day. I keep threatening to knit one of "those" for Jim. He always declines. It would be faster to knit than socks. I can only wonder at the young "ladies'" response.

BammerKT said...

How rude they were! I do love your answer to it though. Ah what a lot LOT of disappointment is coming to them!

Nan said...

Perfect come back! And hopefully, in the future, those young females will moderate themselves better.

anachronist said...

I once was knitting two socks toe up on one circ. They were still in the state of the toe increases and a lady mentioned if this is going to be a bikini top for me, it definitely will be too small.

People also keep commenting on me crocheting, and I never can keep quiet and lecture them.

Your witty comment has way more style.

And I can only second, those two young ladies will be more careful about how loudly they will be discussing things in the future :-)

Annick said...

How funny !!! well done Colin, I laughed for the day with your post !!!

Herzblut said...

thanks :)

PS big hugs......just because

Yarnhog said...

Bwahahahaha! I'd personally love to see the Willie that would fit in a sock-sized warmer. :)

SandyHam said...

Now that is just too funny! I suspect though that those girls may feel relief rather than disappointment. If I saw a willie that big coming at me, I would run so fast the other way I might get arrested for streaking!

Anonymous said...

LOL! what a brilliant response :-D

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

LOL! That's hysterical! It's too bad some people are so rude. Hopefully, that embarrassed them sufficiently so they'll be a little more careful about what they say in the future. I would have told them that it was indeed a Willy Warmer, but it was for your partner and they wouldn't likely find a straight man with that kind of equipment.

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

That's friggin' hillarious! :)